Plan Your Summer Vacation Now
There’s nothing quite like the view of the Green Mountains under a bright blue sky to put you in the mood for summer explorations, and there’s no better place than beautiful Bennington for a relaxing Vermont weekend.
As you make your summer travel plans, we want you to know that Bennington is open for business. The state of Vermont, along with our local government, shops, restaurants, lodging establishments, and citizenry have worked together to to continue to suppress the spread of COVID-19.
Restrictions have been lifted and our local shops and restaurants are welcoming customers, and our opportunities for outdoor recreation make it easy to discover trails, lakes, rivers, and parks while maintaining social distances.
Ready to explore summer in Bennington, Vermont? Here are some ideas to help you plan your trip:
First, Find an Amazing Place to Stay in Bennington
Bennington and the close surrounding area feature a number of welcoming hotels, inns, B&Bs, and other lodging establishments. Whether you want a taste of Vermont luxury, a downtown motel within walking distance of shops, or even a local campground, you’ll find a perfect vacation home base in Bennington. With accommodations to fit every budget, there’s no time like right now to escape to Vermont for a little rest and relaxation.
To help make planning easier, check out our Bennington lodging directory where you’ll find the best places to tuck in for the weekend.
Get Your Shopping Fix in Bennington’s Historic Downtown
Discovering new and interesting shops is an exciting part of staying in a small town, and Bennington is full of surprises! From Vermont’s oldest independent bookstore to Bennington’s newest art gallery, you’re sure to find the perfect gift, outfit, or souvenir to bring home.
Head downtown and enjoy local shopping at its finest. You can find a directory of our fabulous retail establishments here.
Eat Your Fill, Indoors or Out
Wondering what’s for dinner? How about reservations at your favorite Bennington restaurant?
Our restaurants are thrilled to be back in business and welcome patrons from all over. If you are still feeling hesitant about indoor dining, there are many restaurants with gorgeous patios and decks for socially-distant indulging outdoors. As an alternative, take-out and curbside offerings are still going strong, allowing you to choose from a smorgasbord of Vermont dishes to enjoy on your outdoor picnic, at your hotel, or even in your car.
As we transition to ‘normalcy,’ reservations are recommended at most Bennington restaurants. Visit our dining page to find exactly what you’ve been craving.
I Scream, You Scream…
It wouldn’t be summer in Vermont without ice cream! Embrace the season with a cone or a cup of something cold and frosty. While everyone in Bennington has their favorite spot, it’s good to know that you have plenty of choices. Here’s where to satisfy your need for something cold and sweet in Bennington.
- Billy T’s Northside Dairy Bar – Cones, sundaes, and dinner specials. Open Wednesday through Sunday, 11:30 am – 9 pm
- The Village Chocolate Shoppe – Homemade gelato. Open Monday through Saturday, 11 am – 5 pm
- Stewart’s Shops – Small ice cream counter inside the shop. Open every day, 4:30 am – 12 am
- Bringing You Vermont – Wilcox ice cream, plus lunch and dessert items. Open Monday through Saturday, 10:30 am – 3 pm
- Tastee Freez – Frozen treats in addition to burgers, hotdogs and classic sides.
Get Your Art and Culture On
You’ve been shopping, recreating, and eating your fill, but you still want more. Local museums and historical sites welcome you with open arms. Here’s an overview of art and cultural attractions that are either open or will be opening up soon.
- Bennington Museum – The Bennington Museum reopened with fabulous new exhibitions, plus they continue to feature outdoor installations as part of the North Bennington Outdoor Sculpture Show. Come enjoy live music, food and libation every Friday evening in the courtyard from 5-7pm.
- Bennington Battle Monument – Re-opened for the season.
- Old First Church – Open.
- The Dollhouse and Toy Museum of Vermont – Call to make an appointment.
- Robert Frost Stone House Museum – Re-opened for the season.
- Park McCullough Historic Governor’s Mansion – Tours have resumed; the beautiful grounds (adjacent to the popular Mile Around Woods) are always open.
- Bennington Performing Arts Center – Currently offering a full slate of events, for all ages. Check the website for details.
Ready to plan your summer trip to Bennington? Explore our site to find more things to do and places to discover, and don’t forget to sign up for our mailing list for updates on events and opportunities in and around Bennington.
- Activities & Adventures
- Art, History, Theatre
- Events & Festivals
- Fall Foliage
- Outdoor Recreation
- Tour Guides & Itineraries
- Town News